Monday, February 16, 2009

Thing 5

This Web 2.0 sounds like an exciting tool in the classroom. I was intrigued by the possibilities this technology could provide for our students. My worry is the amount of time that would be involved in searching out, screening, and creating these sources that would be age appropriate for the elementary level. My worry also, which has come to bare with field trips is that parking kids in front of a screen for even more time may not be the best choice for elementary kids. We have been encouraged to take Virtual Field trips, speakers, etc; however, there is still a benefit to old fashioned hands-on learning and face to face interaction and manipulation of materials. We need to be careful not to replace our own intelligence and common sense with this new technological artificial intelligence. We still need to practice the art and skill of thinking and problem solving.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a thought, do we really want to create more ways to encourage students to sit in front of a screen MORE hours of each day? Subscribing to all these RSS feeds does imply that someone will check them at least occasionally. We already have students spending a staggering amount of time with technology (perhaps not all the time is spent gaming...) but will we require equal time to explore dance, movement, art (not on a computer) or other creative outlets if we ask students to use more technology in their day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virtual field trips-- how cool! I am starting a new unit tomorrow and will spend some time today researching and seeing if I can find one. My students are starting a new historical book and I so wanted to take them to Greenfield Village. I know we should not replace hands on but at least I can give them some background without leaving school. I think I will try to grab some artifacts from the local historical museum to add to the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, "all things in moderation." Technology should be integrated into lessons to enrich the learner's experience. If it is meaningful and offers something we can't provide concretely, then technology has a place. The problem I have found with some virtual field trips is that some students do not stay engaged...it is too much like a movie. I think we should focus on the collaboration side of the web, use it to make time-consuming tasks quicker. Use each others' knowledge to make each others' lesson planning more effective and efficient.

    ReplyDelete