Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Thing 4

There is a lot more going on in the 21st Century than I was ever aware of. I knew there was a lot I did not know from watching my young adult kids learn, relax, "spend time with their friends" (in their rooms in front of a computer, I had to get on my bike and ride to their homes and ask their parents if I could come in.....). I find this new tech both intriguing and very intimidating. So many people now have access to my home and my "kids". This opens new doors for all of us that aren't always as safe as I would like. In order to stay safe in this new techie world, we must be life long learners to keep up, otherwise we will be eaten or left behind. I have been scammed in the past by not being aware of all that is out there and the possibilities that are involved. A little knowledge is dangerous, you need to truly be educated in the capabilities even if you are not going to integrate them into your daily life, just for self-preservation. The more you know - the more you need to know. It all seems a little overwhelming, but I am hoping that through these 'things" I will gain some confidence, competence, and control of this new 21st century world. It is here whether I am ready or not.....

4 comments:

  1. No kidding. I feel like I need to catch up and quick. However, it seems as if I could spend 24 hours a day and not be caught up. This stuff is growing exponentially. One of my favorite words next to logarithmically. I am not sure I will be able to catch up. I have considered myself a life long learner. However, for most of my life computers were not part of it. I do remember my first computer. A Commodore 64. What a machine! To paraphrase John Kennedy, "Ask not what that Web 2.0 can do for you, ask what you can do WITH Web 2.0".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider what people must have thought when the telephone became a widespread communication tool. What concerns did they have for their privacy? Were they worried about getting scammed over the phone by someone they didn't know? Were they afraid because their name and address was publicly available in the phone book? Do you suppose some people chose not to have a phone because of these concerns?

    We have some of the same problems now with the new communication tools like email, and facebook and myspace, and blogging, and all the rest. Some will choose to stay away for the reasons cited, but others will educate themselves and try to leverage the new tool to their advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a bit scary to think how easy it is to caught in a scam. I remember when we were trying to sell our house we had emails from foreign countries asking for certain things about the house, account #'s, etc... luckily we figured it to good to be true and never responded. I really fear my kids in class and my kids at home about having access to things that could potentially cause problems.
    In a way it is sad to see kids talking to their friends via email, texting, cell phones, IM, etc... instead of that face to face interaction. The get home from school and go out and ride your bike or play ball with the neighbor kids has seemed to vanish with the advent of the gaming systems and other technologies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember what you were saying about asking permission to go into a neighbor's home before entering. Access to our home is from all over the world and by some not-so-nice people.

    Vigilance and common sense is so important when it comes to using technology. We simply can't afford to ignore it because of the fear of unscrupulous people out there.

    Sexting is a perfect example of what I mean. Parents need to be PROACTIVE with their kids before they engage in being stupid. If we fail to provide guidance, restrictions, and inspection, then we are setting ourselves and our children up for disaster.

    ReplyDelete